Registration of marriage concluded abroad

Marriages concluded abroad can be registered in Hungary by application through the Embassy’s Consular Section. The procedure takes on average three months. The required documents to be submitted with the application are as follows:

1. The original marriage certificate (this is required in ALL cases)

To register the marriage in Hungary, the Hungarian authorities require the original marriage certificate or a copy legalised by the Embassy. If you wish to keep the original certificate at the end of the procedure, the Consular Section is required to make a legalised copy. The consular fee for the legalisation of the copy is £13.00. In this case, please also provide a photocopy of the original certificate.

If your marriage was concluded in a country other than the UK, please contact us to see whether you need to obtain a so called apostille certificate from the authorities of the country in question.

2. Translation into Hungarian of the marriage certificate

Unfortunately, the Embassy is unable to undertake the work of translation.

a./ You may have the certificate translated by one of the translators on the enclosed list. The translation has to be legalised by the Consular Section, the fee of which is £17.00.

b./ Should you wish to prepare the translation yourself, please bear in mind that the document must be translated in its entirety. We can accept your translation provided it is exact, accurate and conforms to the rules of the Hungarian language, and provided it is printed or typed. Your translation will be legalised by the Consular Section, the fee of which is £17.00.

c./ If the translation is prepared by the National Translation and Authentication Office (OFFI) – , 1062 Budapest, Bajza utca 52, Tel: (36-1) 428-9600, Fax: (36-1) 428-9610 –, it does not need to be further legalised. Likewise, there is no fee due to us if, at your request, the OFFI has authenticated the photocopy of the marriage certificate (see para 1 above). In this case we forward the original OFFI translation and the authenticated copy to the registration authorities.

3. The original birth certificate of the Hungarian party

4. Application form - Completed and signed.

Please fill in the application form in Hungarian, with block capital letters and according to the conventions of the Hungarian language (name: surname followed by given name; date: year. month day.). When signing the form, please make sure you sign according to the Hungarian usage, ie. surname first, given name second.

5. Documents proving your status prior to the marriage as a divorced or widowed person, where applicable.

Divorced: the court decision relating to the divorce, showing it to be a decree absolute (with translation into Hungarian). If the decree absolute is dated after 1 May 2004, please submit the certificate referred to in Article 33 concerning judgments in matrimonial matters. This certificate does not need to be translated into Hungarian.

Widow(er): death certificate of deceased spouse (Continued overleaf)

These documents are required by the Hungarian registration office in respect of the marriage party who is a confirmed Hungarian national or whose Hungarian nationality can be presumed. (The latter are those persons who left the territory of Hungary as Hungarian nationals and have not renounced their citizenship, but do not at present hold Hungarian papers.) These documents are not required in respect of those who are not Hungarian nationals and have never held Hungarian nationality.

6. Proof of Hungarian nationality

Valid passport, personal identity card or certificate of nationality issued no more than one year ago. In the absence of these: a completed nationality questionnaire.

7. Proof of nationality in respect of the non-Hungarian party (copy of passport)

8. Consular fee:

The application fee is £64. If you do not wish to have the original marriage certificate back at the end of the procedure, the fee is £51 (see para 1). If the translation and copy authentication was prepared by OFFI (para 2c), the fee is £34.

If your application is submitted by post, the fee is payable by Postal Order made out to the Embassy of Hungary.

9. A self-addressed return envelope.

10. Please don’t forget to provide a phone number and an e-mail address.

Due to increased numbers and in order to be able to provide an accurate and more comfortable service, as of 5 May 2009 applicants wishing to register a marriage in person at the Consular Section will be able to do so by appointment.

You will be able to submit your application in person from 13.30 to 15.00 on Monday, Tueasday and Thursday afternoon. Appointments can be made by writing to from 27 April 2009.

Applications linked to closely related cases (eg. registration of birth or application for Hungarian nationality) can be dealt with at the same time.

Should you need further information, please contact us by e-mail at, or by phone in the afternoon, between 2pm and 5pm.