Please bear in mind that there is no possibility to get any information (general or individual) concerning the ongoing resident permit or Schengen visa applications. Until the end of the visa or resident permit procedure we do not give any information.


The foreigners intending to stay more than 3 months in Hungary may apply for resident permit at the Consulate. The information on the resident permits as well as the EU Blue Card may be found on the following website: www.bmbah.hu

The application form for resident permit could be downloaded on the following link:


The information and the forms could be found in English as well.

Appointment: Appointment maybe asked on the following e-mail address:



1., General information

Hungary is a member of the Schengen Area, therefore, if you have a valid Schengen visa (i.e. you have not surpassed the validity date, the number of days and the number of entries permitted) then you can use it to travel to Hungary as well.

We would strongly recommend you to apply for a visa as early as possible but not more than 3 months before your actual journey into Hungary and the Schengen Area. (To check whether you do need or need not a visa please see below.)

According to the Article 9 of the Community Code on Visas (810/2009 Regulation of the Council and the Parliament) the application should be lodged at least 15 days before the intended travel. If an applicant fails this time due to the point II.3.3.1 of the C(2010) 1620 decision of the European Committee published on 19th March 2010 this is his/her responsibility as the applicant has to apply at least 15 days before the intended stay and the applicant is responsible to calculate with the longer visa procedure if an appointment is requested.

Please note that in certain cases the visa procedure could take up to 60 days.

2., Where to apply for a Schengen visa for Hungary

A fast track visa service is provided at the Hungary Visa Application Centre by VFS Global Services Ltd., which assists applicants with the procedure and forwards the application to the Embassy for an additional fee; or applications may be submitted directly to the Embassy.

Please note that if you are not resident in Poland you should normally apply at the Hungarian Embassy or Consulate in your country of residence.

If you want to visit one Schengen country, apply for a visa at the Embassy or Consulate of that country.

If you want to visit several Schengen countries, apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the country in which you intend to stay for the longest period of time.

If you intend to visit several Schengen countries but do not have a main destination, you should apply at the Embassy or Consulate of the Schengen country of your first port of entry.

As an application should be lodged at least 15 days before the intended travel you may apply for the visa within less time on your own risk. The Consulate as well as the Visa Application Centre is not responsible for any delay. Even if you applied for your own risk at the Visa Centre the Consulate may send back your application without any decision on the application.

3., How to apply at the Embassy

Applicants must book an appointment to submit their application. It has to be made in writing to the following e-mail: consulate.vao@mfa.gov.hu. Please enclose a copy of your passport, your residence permit i Poland, intended dates of your journey.

Waiting time for an appointment at the Embassy varies between 10 and 30 days. The processing time after appointment is up to 60 days.

In case of an emergency, such as a relative’s death or critical illness, the Embassy can give an earlier appointment or advance the date of an appointment. In these cases a letter of support from the hospital or a funeral director is required. For emergency appointments only please contact the Embassy’s Consular Section by e-mail (consulate.vao@mfa.gov.hu or the Embassy’s secretariat: (mission.vao@mfa.gov.hu), a scanned copy of the supporting letter is needed.

As the Consulate has limited capacity we do not give any urgent appointment for tourism, business, family visit or study trip exept the diplomatic passport holders and the family members of EEA and Hungarian nationals if they fulfil the requirements of the 38/2004 EC Directive on the free movement: only in that case if the familiy members travel together with their EEA or Hungarian family member or they intend to join them.

4., Visa fees

From 1 March 2011 the fee of applying for a visa is 60 EUR.

However, there are a number of exceptions:

Visas are issued free of charge for the following applicants:

- children under the age of 6 travelling with their own passports,

- family members of EEA citizens either travelling together with their EEA national family members or travelling in order to meet their EEA national family members (both cases have to be proven by joint flight tickets or a letter from the spouse, respectively - see below for details),

- researchers having a valid contract with a research institution in Hungary,

- pupils, students and their teachers travelling for study reasons,

- representatives of non-profit organizations under the age of 25 participating and attending seminars, conferences, sport, cultural or educational events organised and held by NGOs.

A reduced fee of 35 EUR applies to the following applicants:

- nationals of countries having a visa facilitation agreement with the European Union: Russia, the Ukraine, Serbia, Macedonia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Kosovo, Albania and Moldova.

- children between the age of 6 and 12.

The visa fee has to be paid when the application is submitted. The fee should be paid in cash.

Please note that in case the application for a visa is refused, the fee will NOT be reimbursed.

6., Documents needed to apply for a short stay Schengen visa

General requirements when applying for a short stay visa (C):

- passport issued within 10 years before the submission of the visa application,

- passport has to contain at least 2 blank pages,

- the passport and the residence permit/long term visa for Poland should be valid for at least three months longer than the expiry date of the requested visa

- a wholly and legibly completed and signed visa application form ,

- a passport-size colour photo (not older than 6 months),

- the original and a copy of a travel health insurance covering at least € 30,000 (financing urgent health services and homeward transportation due to medical reasons), which is valid for the entire period of stay and the whole territory of the Schengen area (such travel health insurances are available at all post offices),

- evidence of the purpose of the journey,

- evidence of the financial coverage of the expenses (recent bank statements, pay slips etc. - with a copy of them), and

- valid tickets (e.g. flight, bus or train tickets to all your destinations).

7., Specific requirements (photocopies are also needed):

The specific requirements depend on the main purpose of travel, the length of intended stay and the personal circumstances of the applicant. Fore more information please visit the website of the Office of Immigration and Nationality (www.bmbah.hu) or the website of the European Commission.

Please bear in mind that the consul may ask additional documents in any time during the visa procedure as well as the applicants may be invited for personal interview to the Consulate.

8., Documents required from family members of EEA citizens

a), Holder of a 'Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National'

Accompanied by the EEA national or joining the EEA national

who is travelling to or residing in Hungary: no visa required. Please note that the residence permit must be endorsed in a valid passport or travel document and that you may be requested by the immigration authorities to provide documentary proof of the relationship (e.g. original birth, marriage or civil partnership certificate) and of the use of the right of free movement of the EEA national (e.g. a registration certificate).

Furthermore, this only applies when travelling directly to Hungary. When travelling to Hungary through another country, please check with the appropriate Embassy.

b), Family members of EEA citizens not holding the above mentioned residence card of a family member of an EEA national, need a visa to travel to Hungary, thus they should apply for a visa. In case they are travelling together with their EEA national family member or travel in order to join the EEA national family member in Hungary they are entitled to the visa free of charge if they can prove it by presenting joint flight tickets or a letter from the EEA national family member and a single return flight ticket.

Required documents:

- a wholly and legibly completed and signed visa application form,

- a passport-size colour photo (not older than 6 months),

- the applicant’s passport and residence permit/long term visa for Poland, the latter of which should be valid for at least three months longer than the expiry date of the visa,

- the EEA national family member's passport with their residence permit for Poland (and photocopy of these),

- their marriage certificate registered in Hungary or the EEA national’s country, and

- joint flight tickets or the EEA national’s letter + a single return flight ticket for the applicant.

c), Family members not accompanied by the EEA national or not travelling to Hungary to join the EEA national: visa required, regular Schengen visa procedures apply.

9., Visa refusal

In case of refusal the applicant receives a refusal letter. The Consulate cannot give further information on the decision except written on the refusal form.

If your visa application has been refused you may appeal strictly personally at the Consulate within 8 days after you got the refusal letter. The fee of appeal is 30 EUR. Please submit also your additional supporting documents.

The decision on the appeal is taken within 15 days by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

11., Information on visa waiver agreements

Please visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (http://konzuliszolgalat.kormany.hu/en).

IMPORTANT NOTICE - New regulation from 15.02.2010 for Nigerian passport holders

Please note that from 15 February 2010 by modification of Government Decree 328/2007 (regarding passports and other travel documents not recognized by Hungary) the following Nigerian passports are no longer accepted for entering the territory of the Republic of Hungary:

A-series: the letter “A” followed by seven digits.

A-series: the letter “A” followed by seven digits and closed by the letter “A”.

The above documents are not accepted and therefore cannot be endorsed with a visa.

Please note that previously issued Schengen visas will not give exemption from this rule. If you are holding a passport as described above, please apply for a new passport at your nearest Nigerian High Commission/Embassy or Consulate.